1 L Cream
18 Egg Yolks (or 270g)
280g Sugar – Caramel (180c)
15g Maldon salt
350g strong white bread flour
110g icing sugar
140g butter, diced
½ beaten egg
50ml cold water
For the Pastry
1. Mix the flour and sugar in a bowl until evenly combined. Add the butter and run it in until the mix resembles breadcrumbs.
2. Mix the egg and water in a jug until combined, pour into the dry ingredients in the bowl and knead gently to a smooth dough. Wrap in clingfilm and leave to rest in the fridge for an hour before using.
For the Tart
1. Bring cream to the boil. In a separate bowl, combine egg yolks and 150g sugar.
2. Pour the cream over eggs and sugar. Place 1 Litre of this mixture into bowl and add the Maldon salt.
3. In a separate pan, over a low heat, bring 280g sugar to a dark caramel. Once a dark caramel forms, slowly incorporate this into the custard mix in the bowl, whisking continually. Combine this with any remaining custard and pass through a fine sieve.
4. Remove the skin and large bubbles off of the mixture and cover with cling film to contact. Leave standing for 5 minutes before removing the cling film, taking the small bubbles with it.
5. Pour into a blind baked tart case and bake at 130 C fan 2 until set.
6. Leave to stand for an hour before slicing and enjoy with pouring cream